SailNet Community - View Single Post - How should you run the engine?
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartley18 View Post
TD, thanks for your concern, but having seen others do a range of things from Nothing(TM) to Run-the-Engine-for-an-hour-in-the pen-in-gear, I thought it was a question worth asking. No stress here - just curious.

I know there might be slight differences between makes/models, but a Diesel is a Diesel and surely there are "best practices" everyone should know.

Hypothetically speaking? Fresh water cooled. "The engine must be started and warmed up at least once every 14th day while the boat is in the water in order to prevent corrosion." - Volvo MD2010-MD2040 Instruction Book pg 12... or perhaps Volvo don't know what they're taking about?!?

...and I suspect is where RichH is coming from, although, to me, it seems it doesn't take an hour for the engine to be "warmed up". Even so, running an engine for ~1 hour every 2 weeks would mean minimum 26 hours/year on the engine. That's still well within the max hours between service intervals. Perhaps that's the "how long" answered then!

The trend thus far seems to be to take the boat out for a spin on a regular basis.. not always possible, but I guess that indicates "run under load". Would that mean that someone doing a circumnavigation, say, would be advised to run their engine in gear whilst charging the batteries - or is an alternator or two now considered to be enough of a "load"??

You've had dealings with Volvo then ?

I'm not at all sure but just cos the water is warm does not mean full operating temp. I thought that an hour seemed too long but yes probably at least half an hour would be good.

I suspect it takes more than an alternator but I'd love to be proved otherwise.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook