SailNet Community - View Single Post - jib sheeting angle choices..
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2011

Oysterbob is on a distinguished road
jib sheeting angle choices..

Looking to get some ideas on sheeting angles for a new jib :-)

a bit of background about our boat - we have a 1979 grp sloop 26ft (8m), fin keel , is a cruiser racer and weighs over 3 metric tonne on the lift out crane, 7/8 fractional rig. Have always used a furling headsail of approx 150% to cruise and race but we are going to go for dedicated race sails & keep current ones for crusing, we have a removable furlex furler drum & dual foil for sail changes so we plan on having two headsails, one will approx 150% & the other headsail between 95-115% we havent decided.

The current jib/genoa tracks are quite far out from the centreline and we are looking at putting new inside tracks or at least a block a bit closer to the centreline for sheeting in the working jib/blade/#3 , the sailmaker had a look & thought the coachroof would be suitable for new inside tracks, but there is also a stainless steel ring by the base of the shrouds that could be used or we could fit a track inside the shrouds. On measuring all out and checking angles the coachroof would give a jib sheeting angle approx 7-8 degrees and the inside of the shrouds would give approx 13-14 degrees, i have read somewhere previously that this sheeting angle depends on type of boat, displacement etc and varies from 5-20 degrees depending on type, but im sure there was some 'rules of thumb' just cant remember where i read! anyway i prefer personal opinions :-)

would appreciate any thoughts

thanks for reading

Bob
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook