SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cal 21 Keel
Thread: Cal 21 Keel
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2011

rippy is on a distinguished road
Smile

Well we have launched and been out twice in shakedown sails! No leaks anywhere. There is only one thru hull location and that is for a depth sounder. But I don't have a battery so not sure if that works yet.
Unfortunately the wind was howling and the Hudson was in heavy ebb mode both times, YIKES! As I was not reefed the first day I ended up doing a lot of luffing - not used to the serious heeling that was happening. I suspect the boat will stop at heeling at some point, but unfamiliarity with her characteristics except what I have read, "tender", I was a bit chicken...so to speak. Wind was gusting mid 20's first day. I tried to put a reef in the main second time out, but must confess again, lack of knowledge didn't give me a very clean sail. Wind subsided and I shook out the reef. Soon wind was up again and as I was beating back up river got a little hairy. Boat is very responsive to the tiller and turns on a dime. There is a tiller tamer on the boat but not sure I like the mixup of main sheet and tamer lines. I expect to install hardware to lead halyards back to cockpit as too short(me) to reach mast even through the open hatch. A proper roller reefing/furling setup on jib might be called for, but not sure I want all that weight hanging on or near the jib stay. Enough for now. Best all, rippy
PS. Not sure the keel was completely down as the hole for the locking pin is not really visible. I suspect that the keel might be butting up against the pin(if there is one in there) before fully down. I know doesn't make much sense, but anything possible over 40 years!

Last edited by rippy; 07-15-2011 at 09:17 AM. Reason: additional info
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook