I finally got my new-to-me Oday 35 in the water on June 17th!
For the past seven months, I have made the 1 hour trek back and forth to the boat at least twice a week. I've replaced through hulls, installed backing plates, rewired, crimped and heat-shrinked connectors, re-plumbed, scrubbed, painted, varnished, polished, waxed, welded, repacked the stuffing box, installed new electronics, installed new lights, rebuilt Beckson ports, had my Lewmar hatches re glazed, and generally improved every system on the boat. All in anticipation of the day she floated again!
It took the marina where I had her stored over the winter 3 tries to get her launched (May 30th, June 4th, and June 17th). Here is a pic taken on the June 4th attempt;
The problem is that her recently rebuilt, and rebedded, keel is 5.7' and the marina, which does not have a travellift, dredged the area where the slips are (good) and rebuilt the boat ramp - causing it to be 15 feet shorter than when the boat was hauled (bad). In a nutshell, they could not back the Brownell trailer far enough down the ramp to get her to float
. I wish that they told me of the improvements BEFORE I had her hauled there.
Anyway, I got her launched on June 17. Three days later, after being unemployed for 2 years, 8 months, the phone rings... My old co-worker, with whom I have been speaking about a possible
job for over a year, has an open req., and needs to fill it NOW! I started July 5th...
So far, the job seems great. I still need to learn the products, but the people are really great! The money is OK - about what I made in my last position.
The only problem is that I haven't had time for the boat. All that I've been able to muster is about 1 weekend day per week for a day sail...
Now, I'm not complaining, but it is