SailNet Community - View Single Post - Living aboard near Norfolk, VA.
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2011
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by McMikeJr View Post
Dean-
I'm not sure what the issue is, but liveaboards are an issue out here. I don't remember this problem on the west coast. I live in Hampton Roads and am looking at a job up in DC. I figured I'd take my 35 up and find a marina to stay in for a year or so, staying there during the week and coming home (or sailing) on the weekends. No dice. Every time I mention sleeping on the boat the gate closes. "No Liveaboards Allowed." I really don't get it. Bottom line, DO YOUR HOMEWORK. There are a lot of marinas here, there are also a lot of boats. Coincidentally, there are a lot of boats for sale, too. In any case, make sure you can find a marina that allows liveaboards AND has open slips.

Mike
Some marinas in DC area have a limited number of liveaboard slips, mostly due to infrastructure, insufficient parking spaces, etc. Some have waiting lists, others allow living aboard only on weeknights. Lots of marinas in Annapolis have liveaboard spaces available, commuter busses to DC, and the added advantage of being 10 minutes to great sailing instead of being waaay upriver in the Potomac to be in DC proper. Baltimore also has lots of liveaboard availability, and cheaper than Annapolis.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook