SailNet Community - View Single Post - ST 60 instrumentation mounting
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2011

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
On a pod, possibly of wood for looks, above the companionway forward of the sliding hatch would be my choice. The doors restrict your bulkhead options even if it is a good location.
Yep, that would have been my choice too if it were possible but on my boat it isn't.

And while I agree the cockpit coaming is not an ideal location, the visibility according to Puddinlegs puzzles me. The only time I have to crane my neck to see the instruments is when I'm sitting with my back to them which I try to avoid for that very reason. But that is only one position. Everywhere else in the cockpit they're easily visible no matter what point of sail you're on (even downwind ). The picture below (sorry, a bit fuzzy) shows the location in the starboard coaming, I have since installed a new facia with new instruments and a plexiglass cover to stop them getting accidentally damaged/reset.

By contrast, the fish finder on Brian's picture can only be seen from aft of the helm station so unless you're happy to spend your entire voyage there, it is not a good place, not even as good as the cockpit coaming IMHO.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook