SailNet Community - View Single Post - What to do with bilge water?
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2011

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
A CWT Facilty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvuyxx View Post
I am surprised how this conversation thread turned into a debate about whether or not to dump tainted bilge water into the water or ground table. That was not my original intent. No bilge sock is going to completely get an oily bilge clean ... so if you know if you dump it somewhere other than where you swim and sail, why not dispose of it in a place that can treat/handle it properly. I was just wondering where that was. The marinas around here seem to have varying explanations ... as long as it doesn't get into the water, I'm fine.

If you had your own wastewater permit, you could treat bilge water mixed with oil and surfactants and discharge to the sanitary sewer or surface water, in accordance with the treatment reqirements of the permit. You do not and VERY few marinas have this type of permit.

The only other alternative is treatment at a CWT (Centralized Waste Treatment) facility, permited to take subcatagory B (oily water) wastes under the clean water act. Bilge water is identified in the CWT regulations as a subcatagory B waste.

http://water.epa.gov/scitech/wastete...ance_guide.pdf

These are the businesses that can treat it properly. The best known in the Annapolis are are FCC Environmental and Clean Harbors. There are many haulers that will take it to these.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook