SailNet Community - View Single Post - Velocity Predictions Polar Diagram
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2011

CowbaySailor is on a distinguished road
I realized yesterday while out on the water that when I took a good look at what my requirements for speed really is, the answer was this.

Velocity Made Good (VMG)vs Distance Made Good (DMG). As a cruiser with destinations I need to shortest route between to points, and the fastest way to travel on each track to get there. My average travel distance per day is 16 to 25 kt miles per day. In the inside of Vancouver Island the Gulf Islands is where I sail. The landscape controlling the winds, tides running fast through narrows and pushing you out of bays when its filling. Add the crazy weather coming in from the open sea or over the mainland mountains. I just need to get to are destination and enjoy all the things we do on the water.

Do I like to see how fast I can get her to sail absolutely, when the conditions are right I will push the limits and grin all the time while doing it but. When I need to make head way I will sail, motor sail, use the motor what ever it is that will give me the best Distance Made Good. This is what I need to learn the most how to travel fast and comfortable in all condition and weather.

VMG will just make me learn how to get the most out of my sailing. Knowing what speeds to expect from winds of the day on sailing legs makes plotting a trip easier and more fun for everyone on the trip. A check sum for my sail trimming. A way to teach the kids how to catch the wind then harness it. VMG is something all Skippers should know about there boats. Just another tool in the sailors bags.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook