SailNet Community - View Single Post - Destin Harbor Information
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2011
Battered and Bruised

Silvio is on a distinguished road
Hi turfguy,
I live aboard in the Destin area. Water depth is typically not as much problem as bridge height around here. What are your draft and air draft? I have a 48' mast and only occasionally go out Destin bridge. Instead I run the ICW to Panama City and go in and out down there. This allows me to keep my boat in the bay for easy work commuting/living aboard and I tend to sail east and south anyway so running down the ICW isn't that bad. I generally motor or motor-sail four to five hours of the trip and sail the remainder. It is a pleasant day trip down to St Joseph Bay, 8-10 hours either way inside or outside.

Slip fees at Harbor Walk can be extreme in my opinion, $1000/month for my 31', but they probably decrease as you head into the harbor further. There are plenty available for sure, signs along hwy 98 advertising slips for rent.

Traffic in and out of the harbor is a cluster @#!$%, so be prepared for that. TONS of drunken tourists on everything from motor cruisers to jet skis, some completely clueless of boating laws and guidelines/courtesies. Wife and I enjoy leaving the vhf on while anchored for dinner and listening to the ruckus around the Destin bridge. Beats TV.

Feel free to pm me or post anything specific that I can help with.

Cheers!
Silvio
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook