SailNet Community - View Single Post - Volvo MD2010 won't bleed
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2011

talbot is on a distinguished road
Volvo MD2010 won't bleed

Hi,

Just back from a cut short weeklong cruise because the engine will not run past about 16 to 1800. It would run faster but only for a little time. Being only 8hp to start with that equates to about 2.5 knots with no headwind. I replaced the prefilter Racor, it was a bit dirty. No change, I then replaced the engine mounted fuel filter and found the old one to be only two thirds full of fuel. So replaced and topped it off with fuel. I then tried using the little lever on my diaphragm lift pump to purge the rest of the air out. The first time I did this some fluid finally (after way too much lever action for my liking) came out but not the steady stream described in the manual. So I finally closed the vent and bled the injectors, per the manual. The engine ran up to speed for a couple of minutes then back down again with the same issue. So I tried to re-bleed and got nothing out the filter vent. I pumped the lever for three times as long, but nothing . I still cannot figure out how to purge the air from the primary filter. Is the lift pump defective? The engine only has 200 hours on it.
Is it normal for a diesel to run a slow speed with air in the system? Note that it appears to be getting worse.
We limped home by sail only for 50 miles finally short tacking maybe 30 times up a treacherous Merrimack River on an ebb tide and only used the engine for the last 10 minutes.
I will go back to the boat tomorrow and check everything again. Fuel flow, airleaks, filters ???. I can't really see the fuel pump, so maybe take it off to look. Any tips would be welcome.
Hoping to salvage a couple more days sailing before going back to work.
Talbot

Last edited by talbot; 07-18-2011 at 06:26 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook