SailNet Community - View Single Post - Destin Harbor Information
View Single Post
Old 07-19-2011
Battered and Bruised

Silvio is on a distinguished road
Turfguy- I don't know anyone off hand that is livin aboard in the harbor. I am sure there are some though. You might consider posting in the general topics forum and you might get lucky and find someone that is currently living there. Destin is a great area to live in general. If you are coming from ATL the traffic during tourist season shouldn't seem too bad in relation and after tourist season it drops right off and the locals have the place to ourselves. Commuting on hwy 98 can be rough but again perspective. The harbor is definitely the party area during the summer and if you have never been to crab island (just inside the Destin bridge) you are in for a sight.

I agree that this would be a very different place if the bridge were taller. The Bay is quite a nice area to sail and a wonderful place to drop the hook for a couple days.

PBzeer- If he is unable to clear Destin bridge the only way to Shalimar is coming in at St Andrews Bay in Panama City; that is my preferred route btw. The chanel through the bridge seems to be correctly marked now. I last went out that way a month or so ago and it seemed correct. It definitely does get shallow fast to the west of the chanel though! The skinny water combined with the parasailors cutting back and forth can make for an interesting exit to the Gulf.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook