SailNet Community - View Single Post - Info on Trump 25 (Margaret D)?
View Single Post
Old 07-19-2011

CirclethatA is on a distinguished road
Info on Trump 25 (Margaret D)?

I've only seen a few of these around, and not much on the internet. They seem a seriously dated design, but still have a certain appeal.

I'm interested in it as an extended coastal cruising liveaboard on the west coast. Obviously it's a 25 ft boat- I'm young, I figure a foot a year for now, and plus I'm on the shorter side-5'7. I'd also enjoy a certain amount of reliability...

My main concern for this boat is the design; i don't want a boat that sails like a shoebox. All signs says this boat sails like a box: pretty much unmodified full keel, double headed ketch. It does, however have a decent amount of ballast, and so might sail more on it's feet, especially given the rig. Does anyone have experience sailing these? What is it like in light airs, seas, or heavy wind?

Second concern is that reliability. This design (full keel, tons of different sails) seems to be touted as the "reliable" go to for heavy sailing. Of course, reliability is as much a product of good technique in building and maintaining. So, as for the building end, how sturdy were these boats made?

Obviously I am comparing this boat to others. The plus is that this may be a good deal for a well built boat, and the boat is actually younger than others in this range. The minus is that it might not sail as well as a similarly sized boat of similar build quality but of a more modern design. Obviously, if i had my pick, I'd be in a well designed and built, more modern hull and rig, but it's hard to find these for under 7k.

Basically, how does this boat sail, how well was it built, and would i be better off on similarly sized (less than 28 loa/5500#) boat? Please, don't tell me to look at bigger boats.

thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook