SailNet Community - View Single Post - Hello....new no clue.
View Single Post
Old 07-19-2011

kunomofo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
Welcome to Sailnet!

And how did the bottom look when you had it on the lift? And the keel bolts, and the rudder, and the steering cable/gear? Did the deck flex when you walked around? Most boats that old will require a survey for insurance by the way. Hope you got lucky!
huh what lift? you saw the title of my post right?

I am still friends with the seller, they were nice people. Deck did not flex, had steel supports inside that were added - this boat was the nicest Irwin in that range up and down the coast that I could find and I looked around quite a bit. Really in great shape and was well cared for, he had just done the bottom on her first year they had her (had her for 2 years) and really did a lot of nice work on the interior etc. I looked at older boats and this one was in the best shape I had seen of all the older boats. No flex at all anywhere - very solid boat and I could tell a lot of care had gone into her.

But hey who knows for sure...I bought an old boat, so I figure there is some risk I am assuming but I also know that new boats can have a zillion issues out of the gate too.

I paid cash for her and at the quoted rate of $1800 a year I am not going to insure her, I will get liability for the marina and save the $1800 a year in an account for anything that may go wrong. That's just way too much for a $15K boat.

I have sailed most of my life just not on the ocean and most boats were 20 FT, so I have a lot to learn but am in no way a newbie in the strict sense.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook