SailNet Community - View Single Post - Wanna be sailor
Thread: Wanna be sailor
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2011

vikisonline is on a distinguished road
Wanna be sailor

Hello,

I hope this is the right place to post. I got fairly interested in sailing a while ago. Used to fly back then but fuel prices are crazy right now. (this is where sails come in :P)

Hopefully I'm in my last year of university and been thinking about buying a sailboat after graduating. What I'm looking for is something trailer-able, maybe around 24'-31' so I can tow it when not in use and don't have to pay for a marina in the under $10000 range, but also good enough to stay out overnights, like the ones that sleep 4. There is a free one down the road but it looks really really bad, including a rusty keel, which I thought was supposed to be lead.

What I'd like to do meanwhile is research as much as I can about it. Proper names for parts of a ship (some I still don't know), how they can break, how much it is to repair them, and also how to sail. So that when it comes time, I can look at a ship that I want to buy and know what I'm looking at. I have been searching the internet and there is a lot of resources, including this site, but suggestions would be more welcome.

Basically if you could recommend me some books about sailing/maintenance, or good web-resources, I'd much appreciate it, and on benefits of design, like differences between full-keel and shoal keel i think they call it. I'd prefer fixing things myself so resources in that regard would be nice too.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook