SailNet Community - View Single Post - Wanna be sailor
Thread: Wanna be sailor
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 07-20-2011 Thread Starter
Wanna be sailor

I hope this is the right place to post. I got fairly interested in sailing a while ago. Used to fly back then but fuel prices are crazy right now. (this is where sails come in :P)

Hopefully I'm in my last year of university and been thinking about buying a sailboat after graduating. What I'm looking for is something trailer-able, maybe around 24'-31' so I can tow it when not in use and don't have to pay for a marina in the under $10000 range, but also good enough to stay out overnights, like the ones that sleep 4. There is a free one down the road but it looks really really bad, including a rusty keel, which I thought was supposed to be lead.

What I'd like to do meanwhile is research as much as I can about it. Proper names for parts of a ship (some I still don't know), how they can break, how much it is to repair them, and also how to sail. So that when it comes time, I can look at a ship that I want to buy and know what I'm looking at. I have been searching the internet and there is a lot of resources, including this site, but suggestions would be more welcome.

Basically if you could recommend me some books about sailing/maintenance, or good web-resources, I'd much appreciate it, and on benefits of design, like differences between full-keel and shoal keel i think they call it. I'd prefer fixing things myself so resources in that regard would be nice too.

Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome