SailNet Community - View Single Post - Wanted: Insight & Wisdom for Living Aboard
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2011

fryewe is on a distinguished road
Andrea, develop a hurricane plan soon, for yourself and your boat. Mobile is not often in the path of gulf storms, but it is often enough to warrant having an effective plan. If you are planning to move east along the intracoastal gulf toward the Chesapeake during the season, be sure to modify your plan as you move along.

Mobile is great, but even as a native south Alabamian, I can assure you that a move 60 miles to the east to Pensacola would significantly enhance your QOL. Mobile Bay is thin water except for its southeast quadrant. Shoal draft boats are great for gunkholing there, but I think you will find yourself limited in cruising grounds within the bay in your Oday.

We are in Pensacola. As earlier comments noted, the intracoastal between Mobile and Panama City is great, with lots of big water for sailing and some ditches between with great scenery, eating, and natural history. The beach area from Pensacola to Panama City is lively in the summer and a great place to work or play. Large military installations and great small colleges and universities enhance opportunities for young people socially and professionally.

And did I mention that there a hundreds of square miles of bays inside, and the gulf outside, for sailing?

Mobile has limited marina offerings. Turner Marine and Dog River may be perfect for you, but marina options are much expanded from Pensacola to Panama City. I can't recommend any specific place to you, but if you simply scan the Active Captain listings along the Gulf Intracoastal you can see the options. Open docks are more plentiful since Ivan.

All the best to you, and good luck.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook