SailNet Community - View Single Post - battery question...
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2006

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
I hope you saved about 5-6k

To wire this system up. Your requirements are high and will require significant cost to get the rated output you require. The satellite radio alone will draw 5-6 amps per hour, a 36 inch plasma (I can't beleive this was not a typo) will draw roughly 30-45 DC amps per hour after being converted to AC from DC. Although you won't be running the microwave for long periods you could burn upwards of 150 amps per hour depending on the size of your microwave. I'm guessing you'll also want to run electronics, running lights, water pressure, refrigeration etc. etc... I would suggest loosing the floating movie theater concept and use a laptop computer to play movies on. An HP 17" screen laptop plugged into the cigarette lighter and a car stereo aux input for sound draws about 7 amps per hour. You also need to take moisture into account when installing a TV. They will only last about 2-3 years in the damp cabin of a boat plus they are not designed to take the pounding when sailing to the weather in 25 knots of wind. At best buy an inexpensive 15" or 17" LCD tv. It wll draw less and when you have to throw it out you won't be out 3k..

For the set up you listed you would probably want at least six six volt golf cart batteries and 2500 watt inverter, a Xantrex battery monitor and at a minimum a 100 amp alternator with three stage regulator. Neither solar nor wind will keep up with these requirements..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook