SailNet Community - View Single Post - battery question...
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2006
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
You know, just my thoughts on the matter:

There is really nothing wrong with the microwave, the tv, nothing. If it makes you more comfortable and you have fun, do it. Just be conscious of the implications you will be introducing.

It may sound silly to first time boat owners, but even adding little household items to a boat can cause huge issues (not bad issues... just things to be conscious of).

I am sure there are some cruisers on this forum that do not have a microwave... but I bet most of them do. I do. I have a flat screen TV too. However, I have sized my boat loads accordingly and added a generator, dual, back-up, isolated bateries and banks, etc. Generator: $10,000 (unrealistically low) - $15,000 (maybe a little high, but not that much). Dual, isolated banks: about 1500-2000 dollars. Not to mention, all types of battery monitors, etc. PS, as mentioned earlier, microwaves and hair dryers take a "real" inverter... better budget at least $1000-1500 if you do it yourself. And one last little thing to point out: This has to be marine equipment. You cannot go to home depot and buy copper wire and put it in your boat unless you want serious issues. Marine wire only, amongst many other things.

DONT FEEL BAD ABOUT ASKING. THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS. AND DO NOT WORRY ABOUT SOMEBODY TRYING TO BELITTLE YOU. EVEN THEY STARTED SOMEWHERE.

This is how you learn... ask away. Sailors & boaters in general help others. All we are trying to do is give you the basics of what your decisions will involve.

Good luck... and make sure you get a good copy of Capt Ron for that new TV!!!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook