SailNet Community - View Single Post - Advice for coastal trip.. Newport to New Jersey
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2001

Bluesmoods is on a distinguished road
Advice for coastal trip.. Newport to New Jersey

Jeff:

Thanks much for your advice. You are correct in assuming that I am looking or off-shore experience, as I have very little and also some lessons in navigation As I do not want to depend on electronics all the time.

The boat is in excellent shape and is in real good "sailing" condition.
I thought I would head out of Newport stay on the outside just a few miles and head south .. given the appropiate weather window. If worst came to worst, (in terms of Navigation that is).. I figure it would be hard to miss Atlantic City. Boat has GPS, Loran, Computer (Navtech charts coupled to GPS and Auto pilot) Robertson AP, good sail inventory, Invertor, smart charger and so forth..

Is there anything particularly hazardous about this trip? I defineitly wanted to take crew with experience or a delivery captain who will let the "customer" come with. I will be keeping the boat in Atlantic City, hence a whole new adventure in terms of my sailing expeience.

I have spent many years sailing the in the Annapolis area in various weather conditions in a Cal 2-27 just about year-round. But, It is the Chesepeake Bay. Also, this is a Cal-39.

Thanks again,

Andy
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook