SailNet Community - View Single Post - need a way to recharge battery while sailing
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2011

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam9066 View Post
to be honest im not sure of the battery size im going to have to get back to you on that has a 6 hp evinrude outboard. but pretty much just run the lights and stuff no more then a 2-3 night trip. it would simply be running the lights i don't think any thing else. pretty much most of the overnights will be to an island to go camping but i want to be able to have power on the boat just becuase well you never know.

did you tie the two batteries in parallel or just swapped them out?

like i said worst case scenario i bring my generator and set it up on the dock and use a charger. i was just hoping for something a little more convenient becuase i have seen all these things about water generators and wind ones
What Rozz said!

We had only one group 24 for the first 5 years, and that worked OK, but as I added lights, electronics and started watching movies (portable DVD) it came up short. A lot depends on how you use power. An anchor light can be your biggest use, because of the hours.

I installed a small 10amp charger in the boat:
Amazon.com: Guest 2611A Charge Pro Series Marine Battery Charger (12/24-Volt, 10-Amps 5/5, Double Output): Sports & Outdoors)
Which allowed me to recharge easily at marinas and at the dock. Really easy, and probably a good first step.

I don't think a solar panel set-up makes sense on that boat. It didn't make sense on my Stiletto. Keep it simple, light, and fast.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook