SailNet Community - View Single Post - need a way to recharge battery while sailing
View Single Post
post #7 of Old 07-22-2011
pdqaltair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam9066 View Post
to be honest im not sure of the battery size im going to have to get back to you on that has a 6 hp evinrude outboard. but pretty much just run the lights and stuff no more then a 2-3 night trip. it would simply be running the lights i don't think any thing else. pretty much most of the overnights will be to an island to go camping but i want to be able to have power on the boat just becuase well you never know.

did you tie the two batteries in parallel or just swapped them out?

like i said worst case scenario i bring my generator and set it up on the dock and use a charger. i was just hoping for something a little more convenient becuase i have seen all these things about water generators and wind ones
What Rozz said!

We had only one group 24 for the first 5 years, and that worked OK, but as I added lights, electronics and started watching movies (portable DVD) it came up short. A lot depends on how you use power. An anchor light can be your biggest use, because of the hours.

I installed a small 10amp charger in the boat:
Amazon.com: Guest 2611A Charge Pro Series Marine Battery Charger (12/24-Volt, 10-Amps 5/5, Double Output): Sports & Outdoors)
Which allowed me to recharge easily at marinas and at the dock. Really easy, and probably a good first step.

I don't think a solar panel set-up makes sense on that boat. It didn't make sense on my Stiletto. Keep it simple, light, and fast.

Writing full-time since 2014

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome