SailNet Community - View Single Post - Just took a sailing class and I really do not like dinghy sailboats. Go bigger?
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2011

dhays is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Absolutely, move up to a keel boat if that is your plan anyway. Dingies are definitely harder to sail and less comfortable. Sailboats and airplanes are the same in this regard. The bigger each gets, the easier they are to sail/fly, unless something goes wrong. Just don't exceed your troubleshooting ability. A small keelboat is nearly as simple as the sunfish.

P.S. Yes, a jet is easier to actually fly than a single prop trainer, until something goes wrong.
I'm going to disagree a bit.

I think that rather than give up on dinghies, you should find yourself another dinghy to sail. The Sunfish is not the most comfortable boat to sail. There are a lot of other small dinghies in the 13-18 foot range that are more comfortable and will still give you the sailing experience that is so valuable.

I think that almost everyone would benefit from learning to sail in a small dinghy, just as I think that every pilot should first learn to fly in a small plane. Sailing in a dinghy helps you develop a sense of the boat the same way flying a Cessna 150 gives a pilot the feel for "stick and rudder" flying.

You certainly can go to a keel boat sooner, but in the long run you will be a much better sailor (IMO) if you get some dinghy experience beforehand.
S/V Legacy, Catalina 400 MkII, Hull #328
My Blog on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by dhays; 07-24-2011 at 11:05 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook