SailNet Community - View Single Post - LA/MS barrier island sailing
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2011

thomasward00 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpgraci View Post
Starting my long term plan for a sail from Lake Pontchartrain to Cat/Ship Island. Not very far as coastal cruising goes, but then I'm in a small boat and have limited experience. This is a ways off yet and I plan and becoming very familiar with the boat and sailing her in various condition prior to attempting this.

There will be overnight stops going into and out of Lake P, and a planed night on Cat Island (either tent or on ship). There will need a good weather window for the 3-4 day trip, and due diligence as to route, commercial traffic avoidance and appropriate preparation for when things go horrible wrong.

My question relates to the sea conditions for this journey. The route (following the ICW) essentially lies behind the string of barrier islands, which I assume, barring a storm, offers some protection from conditions in the open gulf.

I've seem videos from others that have made this trip and some of them look like they are sailing on glass.

Again, excepting a squall, does this route offer reasonably calm passage?

I will be purchasing either a 22 Catalina or O'Day in the near future, I'm in Slidell, but maybe in the Spring I would certainly be up for a sail to Ship Island.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook