SailNet Community - View Single Post - Retrofit or Not?
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2011

Omatako will become famous soon enough
My view may be a little different . . .

I believe that to own a boat (or anything else for that matter) one has to convert something into boat. If you have excess money, convert that into boat. If you have real estate you no longer want, convert that into boat. Or, as in my case, if you have skills convert them into boat.

I have always said that I actually should not own the boat I do. Using conventional wisdom I actually can't afford the boat if I have to do things the way many other boat owners do (imported help). But I don't do the things most other boat owners do.

I do everything possible within my skills to make my boat what I want it to be. And if I don't have the skills then there is another double edged question: Can I learn the skills and be happy with the results of my newly found skills? Or can I live without the things that require skills I don't have.

So over the years I have learned to competently use (and mostly bought) a lathe, a milling machine, paint-spraying equipment, carpentry equipment, an industrial sewing machine, a TIG welder, a miriad of hand tools and so the list continues. And yes, there are some that say my work is not super-yacht standard but my boat looks good, works well, is safe and will eventually be complete. At a price that I can afford.

If I can't continue to convert my skills into boat then it's time to trade down to a smaller boat - but that will hopefully be a long time coming.

If this conversion of skills is not for you, then you have to find something else to convert into boat. Money, mostly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook