SailNet Community - View Single Post - battery question...
View Single Post
Old 08-17-2006
Banned

eryka is on a distinguished road
You can have whatever you want, you just can't have "everything."

My suggestion would be, to identify the thing that makes it feel not like "camping out" and find a way to address that - otherwise it's not going to work in the long run. We watch DVDs on the laptop screen as has been mentioned before, don't have a TV, and found a hand-crank blender, but my 'thing' is communication - I'll sacrifice in other areas but we spend a lot on cellphone and internet. For my friend MaryLou, it's long hot showers. You get the idea.

Microwaves aren't so bad as things go, they take a lot of power, but only for a short time. If that's what it takes to turn boating from an ordeal into an adventure, find a way to work it into the energy budget.

A note about inverters, BTW - you can find small inexpensive ones that put out "square" or "modified" sine wave AC - this is fine for battery power things like laptop and cellphone. Anything with a motor (like said microwave) needs a more expensive "true sine wave" or it will quickly burn out. We lost several power tools this way.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook