SailNet Community - View Single Post - Full Keel vs. Wing Keel small boats
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2011
Crotchety Old Member

tomperanteau is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommays View Post
The outboard is not going to stay in the water that well in harsh weather conditions
I second this. Man, do I ever second this.

Our first boat was a 26 footer with an outboard. Every time we went outside the breakwater and hit the 3-4 foot swells the prop would jump out of the water and cavitate, and it was a long shaft that was a good ways down in the water. I HATED that. Not only was it frustrating, because I would have to constantly throttle back so I didn't throw a piston through the side of the engine, but I could hardly enjoy motoring anywhere if we had to.

The second boat had in inboard diesel, and I would never go back after that. One of my first rules in buying any boat if I had to work my way up again, would me that it would have to have an inboard diesel. No inboard diesel? So sale!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Footprints

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youtube

1969 Crealock/Columbia 36 Sloop completely refitted in 2000 and new Yanmar in 2006.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook