SailNet Community - View Single Post - Dangerous Wakes Revisited
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2011

jmayton is on a distinguished road
some need sinking

We were making an overnight run on our O’Day 40 to Santa Barbara Island off the coast of California and were just about five miles off the west end of Catalina when I spotted red/green lights holding a steady relative bearing headed towards my port quarter. I tried to hail the vessel on 16; no go. I could see the bow wave getting larger so I adjusted my course to port by 15 degrees; still a steady relative bearing. I turned on the engine and put the prop in gear to speed up a bit. No change in bearing. I put the spot light on the main sail, revved the engine to max RPM without affecting a change his bearing. It seemed like he was trying to run me down. This 50 foot power boat came with in a few yards of my stern, drenched us, filling the cockpit with his wave, and sped away. My Brother-in-law was just coming up through the companion way curious as to why I was yelling profanities when the wave hit, knocking him to the cabin floor. The wake bounced our stern so high out of the water that the prop was spinning in the air and made an awful sound. Needless to say I really wished I had an RPG or anti-tank missile on board that night; I would have used in without regret.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook