SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailing from Neah Bay to San Francisco
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2011

serenity440 is on a distinguished road
Not that you were asking but I thought to contribute a few tips and tricks I learned on my voyage...A suggestion that I did for jack lines and tethers since marine products can be so very expensive...I grabbed two lengths of 1in webbing from REI for jack lines that I lashed to my cleats, one on each side. I used to rock climb so I trust these lines with my life and it is much cheaper than purchasing from marine chandlery. For tethers get yourself lengths of static cord there while you are at it, then one auto-locking carabiner and one screw lock carabiner for each tether you need to fashion. Use figure 8 knots for each end and make them tight against the biner.

There is a great email system setup with NOAA which when emailed with proper instructions will respond with specific weather reports. Let me know if you would be interested and I can sent you Google Earth files which have the instructions for these for each zone along your path. Here is an example for Cape Flatter reports:

email:
ftpmail@ftpmail.nws.noaa.gov

Subject:
Anything you want to identify your weather report request

Body:
open
cd data
cd forecasts
cd marine
cd offshore
cd pz
get pzz081.txt
quit

I have also created Google Earth files that adapt NOAA grib image files to overlay on the globe. This was very helpful to click through a 7 day wind, fog, rain and wave forecast which overlaid our exact GPS position within GE.

We had a crew of three and devised an excellent watch schedule...We broke the late night, early morning into small 2 hr watches starting at midnight, thus Person A would come on from midnight to 0200, then B from 0200-0400, C from 0400-0600. Each subsequent watch would be 3 hrs, thus A from 0600-0900, B from 0900-1200, C from 1200-1500 and so on...

Cannot think of West Coast literature but from my personal favorites I might suggest: Joshua Slocum's Sailing Alone Around the World, Alexandre Dumas' Count of Monte Cristo, Daniel Defoe's Robinson Crusoe, Michael Crichton's Pirate Latiitues, anything from Kurt Vonnegut, Patrick O'Brian's Master and Commander series, Homer's Iliad and Odyssey.

Happy and safe sailing

Last edited by serenity440; 07-26-2011 at 05:46 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook