SailNet Community - View Single Post - water heater stopped heating
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2011

rmeador is on a distinguished road
water heater stopped heating

So the other day I was out sailing, having a great time, and my bilge pump comes on. My bilge pump NEVER comes on (it never has in the 9 months I've owned the boat and been living aboard). I immediately knew something seriously wrong, so I went below to investigate. I hear the freshwater pump running at full speed, and come to the conclusion a hose has let go somewhere. I turn off the water pump and stop the flood, but being the idiot that I am, I forgot to turn off the hot water heater breaker. As soon as I got back to the dock and plugged in the shore power, the poor hot water heater was trying to heat an empty* tank. The hot water no longer gets hot, the heater draws no power when its breaker is turned on, and I've also checked the breaker on the heater itself and it hasn't tripped... did I kill the heating element, or is there some other possibility? The tank is a 6 gallon Raritan 1700 series (I don't know the exact model number), so I'm hoping this is the right element for it. Thanks!

*At least, I think it was empty... it was the hot water output hose that let go, so I'm not sure why it would have been empty, but it definitely took a long time to refill when I fixed the hose.