SailNet Community - View Single Post - Retrofit or Not?
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2011

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
............................A 1980 Catalina 30 in very good shape goes for maybe 15,000 probably less. A new Catalina 309 goes for maybe 120,000 fitted out....................
Back to that 1980 Catalina 30 for example. If you upgraded every system, new engine, new electric, electronics, tanks sails and it was a 100,000 refit.............
This is where I get lost in your scenario. I see the new engine as the biggest expense at around ten grand; you can do the sails for 6K, new electronics and wiring for 4K and the tanks for 2k tops. Yes all for ca 22 thousand, but lets double it just for kicks,- that's 44K plus the 15K purchase for less than half of the new boat. I'll never buy a new car and I'll never buy a new boat. Simple math tells me I have no need to toss away all that money when I can get the same value for half the price. Sure, I'm one that does a lot of "do it yourself" work and someone that can't use simple tools and complete simple pumbing and wiring may need to spend the extra sixty thousand dollars. Nobody can pay the 120K for the new boat and expect to get their money back ever. Anybody can buy a 15K boat and with some skills, loose money too. ....but not as much! Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook