SailNet Community - View Single Post - Anchor light
Thread: Anchor light
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2011
Both ends are pointy.

junkrig is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by puddinlegs View Post
It's my understanding that if you have a masthead tri-color, you cannot use a stern light on the pushpit. Anyone who knows for certain that this is not so, please feel free to jump in and set me straight. To the OP, in your case, a masthead tricolor and anchor light would work well. LED bulbs or fixtures will save a ton of electricity though cost more up front.
The post you quoted said "steaming lights at deck level" which was when he intended to use that pushpit light.
As you probably know, the only absolute difference between sail lights and steaming lights is the forward visible white while steaming. Two deck level side lights plus a white light visible from aft only satisfies sailing light requirements; add a forward/side visible white light not less than one meter above your side markers and you're good for steaming.
My problem is I have a fat free standing mast and wherever I mount the anchor light except the masthead, about 10° or more of its visibility is obscured. Otherwise I'd blow off the masthead light entirely for now. It's optional and I'm on a lake.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Seablossom Nor'Sea 27 with modern junk rig.
Just because I like it.

Last edited by junkrig; 07-27-2011 at 09:41 AM. Reason: clarify
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook