SailNet Community - View Single Post - Distinctive lines of paint and figures on bow
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2011
KeithW KeithW is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 9
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
KeithW is on a distinguished road
Distinctive lines of paint and figures on bow

Hi folks,

I've noticed some builders put a stylized figure in the forward end of the line of paint on the hull just under the gunwale. For example, Hinckleys have a line of paint on each side of the hull, with a short break in the line near the bow, and then "wings" at the bow. Tartans have a little two-sided arrowhead after the break in the line of paint. C&Cs have two breaks in the line of paint and then a little plus sign.

(1) Does anybody know the name for this line of paint and the identifying figure when it comes to the bow?

(2) Is there a page that brings these together and shows the different designs for each boatbuilder to help identify the manufacturer or another boat on the water?

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook