SailNet Community - View Single Post - Heaving to
Thread: Heaving to
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2011
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser2B View Post
thanks for the reply, i was always under the assumption that the slick should be abeam to windward...not aft? I have read "Storm Tactics" by the Pardeys and it says to throw bits of paper in water to make sure they dont float away...behind the boat. I thought it was the slick that protected you from the breakers, if its behind me it seems that i would not be fully protected.
Ahhh.. nope. It's not that simple.

I'm not familiar with their writings, but in real life exactly where the slick will be depends upon wind strength, wave height, wave direction, current strength, current direction and your boat speed at the time. This means no two situations will necessarily be the same and that wave direction will not necessarily be from the same direction as the slick (although it's nice if that happens!)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser2B View Post
i will keep trying, i gotta learn this. i thought maybe i was doing it in to light of conditions...i tried it a few weeks ago in about a 15kt wind...same deal slick was behind me
Keep trying. An Alberg 30 should heave-to just fine. Do you have the boom centered in the boat or eased right off? Maybe your hull doesn't have enough weed hanging off the bottom.

To slow yourself down whilst hove-to (to try and get the slick in the dirction you want), try dragging a sea-anchor (or a mooring line or two) in a bight from the stern. See if that helps.

Last edited by Classic30; 07-27-2011 at 10:37 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook