SailNet Community - View Single Post - Alan Pape cuttyhunk 41
View Single Post
Old 07-28-2011

Captain Chris is on a distinguished road
Cuttyhunk 45

I have one built at Williams Boatyard, Falmouth, Cornwall, England. She is a custom one-off built with an Airex foam core. This is the only boat (ship) I have ever seen that has a bow and stern stem and longitudinal stringers throughout- in a fiberglass hull. These boats, depending on where and what they are made of surpass anything else ever built. Alan Pape's design is nothing short of pure genius. Mine is a Ketch/cutter. Really, they are a shrunk down China Clipper. This one points to 12 degrees apparent, and is superlative on any point of sail. I had her out off Bermuda in approximately 40 foot confused chop, 50 knot winds, and never took any water over the rail, only spray. If this was built in a reputable yard- buy her- you can't go wrong. In fact- Empresa won the Pepsi America's Sail Tall Ship Festival race in 2006 single handed. Took first in class, and first overall. Never been attempted before, and I suspect no one will ever try it again single handed. I can't say enough of these beauties! I would not trade her for a Hereschoff, Oyster or any other manufactured boat. The estimated replacement cost for her is 1.8 M USD. She IS NOT for sale- for any price... Need I say more?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook