SailNet Community - View Single Post - Looking at two C30s This Weekend!
View Single Post
Old 07-28-2011

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road
Jack,
As I said on the other thread and some others have said here, I'd rule out the 11hp C30.

The ad for the boat with the larger engine is a bit sparse. You might email the seller and ask about pressure water, water heater, etc. You may find the boat already has these features. My C30 does, but it's a '95 MKIII so there are some differences.

What struck me about the Pearson yawl is its narrow beam. Though it's a 35 footer it appears to have less interior space than my Catalina 30. In particular I noticed how thin the seats are on the salon cushions. If you're spending any amount of time aboard you'll need comfortable places to curl up with a book or watch TV. This boat just doesn't look all that comfortable as a live aboard (for me).

The Catalina 30 also has a large cockpit where you can stretch out. This boat doesn't.

The alcohol stove would worry me. But you can swap in a propane stove for around $1k, and probably half that if you can find one used.

Jim

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook