SailNet Community - View Single Post - Flexible shaft coupling
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2006

zerubb is on a distinguished road
Question Flexible shaft coupling

The previous owner of my boat replaced the original mounts with solid mounts (these are being replaced with flexible mounts). It was found during the survey that at some stage the engine had worked loose on these mounts (coach bolts were too small!) As a result the shaft was out of alignment and the cutlass bearing needed replacing. The coach bolts were replaced as was the cutlass bearing and I was assured by the broker that the alignment was done properly before I took delivery of the boat. I have since found this not to be the case.

I find it impossible to align the shaft correctly. I suspect the shaft may have been slightly damaged as a result of the engine working loose. Unfortunately it is not feasible to lift the boat out of the water in order to remove the shaft (there are no lifting facilities close to my location). I am hoping a flexible shaft coupling would compensate for any intolerance (whip) until I can have the boat lifted. Is this a realistic expectation? Has anyone had a similar experience? If so what coupling did you use? (Hopefully one that is available in Oz)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook