SailNet Community - View Single Post - New Islander 28 Owner needs help on floor replacement
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2011

510datsun is on a distinguished road
New Islander 28 Owner needs help on floor replacement

Hi, I have recently purchased a 1976 Islander 28, my first sailboat. I noticed the engine bilge was holding water and not draining in to the keel bilge where the bilge pump is located. I noticed the water would not pass through the hole going from the engine bilge to the keel bilge because the bilge pump hose and wiring were going through the hole, plugging it. The hose and wiring have been there a long time resulting in the water building up enough in the engine bilge to then seep between the teak laminate and the floor plywood, and then in to the keel bilge.

I re-routed the bilge pump wiring and managed to get the water to drain down to the keel bilge. So, now the floor is finally drying out after years of being wet. I would still like to route the bilge pump hose another way to free up the drain hole completely.

I just don't see this being part of the original design, the boat appears to be well built and thought out. The current set up has cost me the floor of the boat. The teak has delaminated and the sub floor plywood is rotten in places.

Can anyone tell me how the bilge hose was run originally?

Can the plywood floor be removed and replaced?

If so, how do you remove it? You obviously have to be careful with sawing to remove the plywood floor and not damage stringers and runners.

Has anyone replaced the plywood floor?
Any help would be appreciated, Thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook