SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2011

Chimbatete is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjung View Post
If you check , you will find the Swedestar is actually less expensive then X -Yachts and Luffe. The Dragonfly is not ocean worthy enough to be in that company, a lake sailor.
Compared with the XC 38, the Swedestar has 5000lbs. less displacement while carrying the same amout of canvas. You can bet it will be faster in light air, but will also have to be reefed early. Not exactly what I am looking for, but worthy of a mention. If I was buying a 37 some footer, it would be either HR372, Xc 38 or Regina 38.
http://www.x-yachts.com/uploads/xc_38review.pdf
I'm surprised that its less expensive because Swede boats are generally in the >$500k range for 40 footers.

I guess if I lived in the East or West Coast I would dream of the Malos and "relatively" fast cruisers like you mentioned. They are great boats. But for what I need it for and my sailing location a performance Cruiser would be perfect. Like the Luffe 40.04, even the Opium 39.

My typical summer week is 2 weeknight crewing on races, weekend cruising and ocassional crewing weekend Regattas. Now Id love to do long distance races within the Great Lakes as well.

So I have some perfect boats in mind for what I'm going to do. Theres two types for me, dream boats and most likely boats.

Dream boats are those I've mentioned in my prior post, X yachts xp line wouldn't be bad, Arconas etc.

Reality is even if I have the money, its unlikely to go into getting one of those. There is some achievable dream boats though like the Jeanneau 409,
First 30 but I'll have to wait for used ones.