SailNet Community - View Single Post - Big Yacht "parking" - Australia and international
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2011

Cryptonomicon is on a distinguished road
Big Yacht "parking" - Australia and international

Silly question but where does one moor/berth/anchor large yachts.

I am thinking along the lines of a
100 foot Schooner particularly for Australia but am curious how people do it elsewhere.

Marinas are obviously out - any marina big enough for a 100 footer comes with billionaire prices and probably a heliport....

Wharves seem to be commercial - big ships pay by the hour, come in unload-reload and move on.

I just can't get my mind around what people do with boats that are too big to be really called yachts - but too small and **cough** cheap **cough** to be classed as ships.

There seem to be a few of them around - often used for corporate cruises - dive trips - whale watching. None of which are really the sort of business that is regular or reliable enough to pay regular expensive mooring fees.

Fishing fleets as well - they certainly don't pay marina fees, costs of fuel and licenses are high enough as it is - they would certainly want to keep mooring fees down.

I am stumped.

And yes I admit I am doing the "throw it all in and live on a yacht dream" thing but found even a 50 foot yacht too claustrophobic to realistically live and work from.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook