SailNet Community - View Single Post - Greetings!
Thread: Greetings!
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2011
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Sail Clubs

Welcome Elliot.

The least expensive way I found to get onto a boat was to join a local sail club. Before I bought my first boat and wanted to see if I'd like it enough to make the investment, I paid $40 dues to a local club and crewed during a few races and then during meetings and social events I listened in as members talked about their boats. Do some research and find a club with a mix of boats. The one I belong to has both trailer boats and cruisers so members without boats have options. We'll be taking on two members who want experience with a larger boat for an overnight trip next month.

For more $, some clubs own their own fleet and allow qualified skippers to use the boats. It's pricey but still not as much as boat ownership.

I also know someone who barters for time on the water. He is a general contractor and also does upholstery work.

Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook