SailNet Community - View Single Post - 35 morgan keel bolts
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2011
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by dean burney View Post
anyone ever tried to replace the keel bolts on a thirty five morgan i wonder if they are poured into the keel or could they be other wise removed
If the keel is lead, they are in place when the keel is poured. If it's iron they are studs threaded into drilled & tapped holes. In some cases like the Thunderbird, the iron keel has a wide flange where it meets the hull and the "bolts" are actually large flathead machine screws countersunk into the bottom of the sides of the flange with the threaded portion sticking up into the bilge where nuts & washers are put on.

The bolts in a lead keel are normally bent into an L before pouring and are not removable. In that case you have two choices - cast a new keel with new bolts or drill down into the keel and cut a window into the bottom of the hole from the side of the keel so you can put nuts & washers on the bottom of the new keel bolt. Lead is too soft to drill & tap as you would with iron.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook