SailNet Community - View Single Post - Distance considerations when buying a boat
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2011

BarryL is on a distinguished road
buy local

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredct View Post
Newbie considering a first purchase in the 28 to 30' class (used).

Boats are advertized globally but what is a good practical radius to consider for a starter purchase? You may have a nice vessel 1000 miles away but it is wise to think about trailering or sailing such a long way to home marina? In other words, does the long distance diminishes the deal?

What is the maximum length that can be trailered? Is that costly or regulated in unique ways?

I am looking at a boat 2 hours away by sea or one that is 24 hours away by truck!
It is not really practical to trailer a boat that size. Of course it can be done, but it gets real expensive real fast. The trailering is only one part of the cost, there is the de-rigging at the selling point and re-rigging at your home port to consider as well.

Since this is your first boat (I assume you are not a very experienced sailor), I would think that 100 miles is about the furthest you should look. That is 2 long sailing days away. Something that could be done for a reasonable cost (with a delivery captain, etc.).

Where are you located? Hopefully it is in (or a near) an area with a lot of boats.

Good luck,
Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook