SailNet Community - View Single Post - Looking at two C30s This Weekend!
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2011
On The Learning Curve

veprjack is on a distinguished road
Jim, YES - I've actually thought about doing this for over 15 YEARS - and done research frome time to time. BUT, I cannot hear advice like yours often enough, if only to "take my temperature" - it's a HUGE, life-altering decision, especially in the cold Boston winter! Throw in the fact that I'm a newbie, and... But, I have made the decision and am making preparations already.

I've spent a LOT of time on this and other forums, getting info on condensation, types of heaters, insulation (even for the mast in the cockpit), etc. etc. etc. It is ENDLESS, but... I spent a month in a tent, climbing in Nepal - the "head" was behind a boulder! lol... I endured COLD nights, the dreaded trekker trots, and mild altitude sickness - so I have that experience to kinda give me an idea about discomfort - even though it WAS different. I'll have access to a marina's showers/facilities and will join a gym within walking distance. I'll also be walking distance from a really awesome city, with laundry, restaurants, etc. I may even be able to swing walking distance to a new job I'm looking at.

So, I go into this with my eyes at least half open. Will there be surprises over and above what "normal life" throws at me? I'd be surprised if that didn't happen. But, I've done my lists over the years, and the benefits FAR outweigh whatever negatives I'll face.

I will have access to storage, but will no longer have my own home. My friend has lived on his boat for 20 years, and is a wealth of information - and has lived in the Bahamas, Florida, Boston - and is heading to Gibraltar next month!

Hey, thanks for the info and advice - this forum and its members are AWESOME!

Jack
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook