SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailing Debacle & Outboard Suggestions
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 08-01-2011 Thread Starter
5hortBu5

Sailing Debacle & Outboard Suggestions

Hey Folks,

On Saturday, I had what I consider my first lousy day of sailing. The short version is I got stuck downriver of a railroad bridge, beating into a light and variable headwind against a current. On my lovely Fiance's suggestion, I gave up after an hour or two, and decided to head downriver for a bit of non-frustrating sailing, and to give the tide some time to slack off.

But I Ran into the same problem a couple hours later. Sure the current was lighter, but so was the wind. Eventually, it died off completely and the sun was going down. I would paddle like a mofo, to make *inches* of headway, then I'd poop out and lose any ground I'd made. I eventually got a tow from a tender boat from the Hess tank farm. I was tired, achy, and embarrassed.

So, this encounter has totally convinced me that I need some sort of mechanical motivation, either in the form of an electric motor or a gas-powered outboard. Oh, and maybe some nav lights, too.

My boat is a 14' O'Day Javelin, and weighs about what, 750 pounds with gear and people aboard? Can anyone provide suggestions on power?

Thanks!
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome