SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailing Debacle & Outboard Suggestions
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2011

5hortBu5 is on a distinguished road
Sailing Debacle & Outboard Suggestions

Hey Folks,

On Saturday, I had what I consider my first lousy day of sailing. The short version is I got stuck downriver of a railroad bridge, beating into a light and variable headwind against a current. On my lovely Fiance's suggestion, I gave up after an hour or two, and decided to head downriver for a bit of non-frustrating sailing, and to give the tide some time to slack off.

But I Ran into the same problem a couple hours later. Sure the current was lighter, but so was the wind. Eventually, it died off completely and the sun was going down. I would paddle like a mofo, to make *inches* of headway, then I'd poop out and lose any ground I'd made. I eventually got a tow from a tender boat from the Hess tank farm. I was tired, achy, and embarrassed.

So, this encounter has totally convinced me that I need some sort of mechanical motivation, either in the form of an electric motor or a gas-powered outboard. Oh, and maybe some nav lights, too.

My boat is a 14' O'Day Javelin, and weighs about what, 750 pounds with gear and people aboard? Can anyone provide suggestions on power?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook