SailNet Community - View Single Post - Anchorages in Reedville VA?
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2011
1968 Pearson Wanderer 30

ilikerust is on a distinguished road
No, no, no - you're doin' it all wrong.

Very nice anchorage can be had by bypassing Cockrell Creek and don't go up there - because, as has been observed, IT STINKS!

Instead, head straight up the Great Wicomoco and go up and around Sandy Point. It's clearly shown on the NOAA charts. Once you pass Sandy Point on your port side, turn to port and go well into that curved little cove, and you'll find a lovely, quiet anchorage with excellent holding.

I took this photo there 11 months ago:

The only mistake I made was not going far enough into the little cove area - we were just barely inside the protective arm of Sandy Point, so we still caught a little breeze and very light chop from passing boats. If we had gone a couple hundred yards farther in, closer to shore, where a couple other boats were anchored, we could see the water was much flatter there.

It was a beautiful evening and a great place to anchor. I'd go there again.

And you're far enough away from the fish processing plants at Reedville that you don't smell them.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
- Mark Twain
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook