SailNet Community - View Single Post - Dangerous Wakes Revisited
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2011

JKCatalina310 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolatom View Post
Boasun is right, you'll find much more consideration from the commercial captains than the recreational ones. Ask any of the small-boat people making a trek on the Mississippi river. The huge towboats always reduce to clutch speed for the lightweight boats and canoes, provided they can see them. It's karma, they've all been in the situation when they needed a dead slow bell from someone else.
Not sure I agree with this. Up here the lobsta men refuse to respect the "no wake zones". I get woken up every morning at 5 AM by the lobster boats going out, pushing wake enough to violently rock the boat in the slip.

We also see way to many idiots with more money then brains flying past smaller boats, sail boats, kayaks, etc. in side and out of the no wake zones. This past week end we were in the process of setting our sails in the no wake zone and this idiot comes up flying towards us. I was pointing at the no wake buoy and shouting at him. I finally gave him the finger and his response was to give me the finger and speed up. Waking our friends about a 1/8 of a mile in front of us worse.

Our new boat came with a RAM mic at the helm and I have already been yelled at by the coast guard for cursing at someone over channel 16 for waking us.

Even though it goes against everything I believe in, I am starting to support licensing for boaters.
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook