SailNet Community - View Single Post - No EPRIB and No liferaft?
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2011
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
What type of vessel?

Epirbs can be rented...Boat US has a program.

Do they have any form of long range communications? SSB, Sat Nav, Iridium?
would be nice to obtain weather data.

Your choice, You've been to bermuda..600 miles RT..you know what can happen out there; and how important weather data is.

Life rafts can be rented too if I'm not mistaken.
I don't believe he has a SSB. But I told him I am willing to rent a Sat Phone since I can't get away too long period of time (4 weeks) without contacting with the office.

The EPIRB and liferaft are easy to get or rented as you suggested. But other that I don't see until too late bothers me. With my limited off-shore experience, a sailing vessel is still a rather complex system that takes days to get to know her.

The last Bermuda trip we practically ran out of water because a leak. We just had 5 gal left when we got the custom house. Volunteering as a crew has its risk. But I learn fast and I never make a mistake twice. Discomfort and lousy environment do not bother me, but dying without a good reason is irresponsible to those depend on me.

In the near future, I think I will look for a crew position with a professional delivery captain.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook