SailNet Community - View Single Post - How Much Can My Boat Take
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2006
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Nice Writeup Fox.

No, I don't see anything you missed. It was well covered. I will comment that every boat heaves to a little differently and should be practiced on a good day, not bad.

We marked reef point on our reefing line (Jib) to coorelate with the same for the main. The point is a fairly balanced boat. Of course, this is done in controlled conditions, not the otherwise, so would not have helped you then. Just hindsight.

Now, my humble little opinions:

If you are running in a sea, be VERY cautious about a broach. Very dangerous. If you have any concerns about it, try altering your course or pointing into the seas until the storm passes. It can sometimes be tough on the passengers, but I typically like to take the seas head on where possible. It will break around the bow, in general. If you are digging into the trough, reef a little more and/or head off some.

Storms are great ways to teach us what we know, what we don't know, and what we thought we knew... and now you are the better sailor b/c of it.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook