SailNet Community - View Single Post - No EPRIB and No liferaft?
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2011
Bluenoser

jimjazzdad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatako View Post
...Unless of course you subscribe to the philosophy that if anything goes terminally wrong you're OK to die as a consequence. But that philosophy should be subscribed to by all persons aboard not just the skipper.
I completely agree and I think that was what the OP was getting at. If I was signing on to a delivery crew, I would expect all the modern safety equipment to be on board, including liferaft, EPIRB and Satphone or SSB. I would also want to see collision mats and plywood, extra rigging and sail mending supplies and lots of spares for the engine. When you are working for someone else, you expect workplace safety to be up to standards.

However, on my own boat, my philosophy is to have all the equipment and knowledge I can muster to come home on my own keel. The best liferaft is your own boat. Without the "magic button" to push, many sailors would learn much about their abilities and their drive to survive. There are risks in any undertaking. I not sure I want to die sailing but I am damn sure I don't want anyone else risking their life to get me out of a mess I chose to risk.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook