SailNet Community - View Single Post - Dangerous Wakes Revisited
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2011

chamonix is on a distinguished road
Keep in mind that the majority of boats out on the water ( at least in the great lakes and coastal waters ) are power boats, thus increasing the chance that you'll run across one that's an idiot. Add to that the skill levels needed to operate a powerboat vs. sailboat and the speed they move at ( reaction time, etc., plus the natural drop in intelligence that happens with an increase in speed ), and that accounts for most of the wake problems rather than a general lack of civility.
From my perspective I'd tell powerboaters that if your passing me either get up on plane or slow right down. Most, however, think they are doing you a favor by comming of plane into half plane position making things worse. It's not that they are being discourteouse they just don't know. last week I had water wash across my deck for the first time, caused by the wake from a 50'+ power boat trolling across the lake on half plane. He wasn't near shore, this was him driving his boat in what he considers normal mode. While I was mad, I realized that he wasn't an a**hole, he was just clueless.
Personal watercraft are differant, you could take Albert Einstien and put him on a PWC and he'd turn into a moron. Which explains why so many are yellow and short.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook