SailNet Community - View Single Post - Dangerous Wakes Revisited
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2011
Stupor-user.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road
Wow... you guys have [literally] larger issues than do I with this. My wife says I turn into a raving lunatic on weekends when the stinkpots are most prolific. My situation is the same, except on a much smaller scale.

With a 22 foot sailboat, and a leaded keel, I figured I'd have a reasonable time on a 13 mile inland man-made lake for stability. Not so. It is primarily a motor-boater/water skier/lake lice type of lake, however sailboats do frequent (making up less than 20% of the boats). Because, however, motorboats don't have the keel limitations a sailboat usually does, they place exceedingly large motorboats on the lake (upwards of 35 feet).

I have had boats circle me, buzz my bow, and go from a full plane (smaller wake lets face it), to half-plane (with wrong trim), and cause crashing waves across my bow. I am cursing, most of the time this is happening (my bad form).

The other day (night?) we took a night sail, and discovered it was commonplace for stink-pot drivers (hard to call them boaters), to A) use "headlights" and B) use spotlights to light up the pretty sail! During my 45 minute "motor" back to the marina (wind died completely).

Night vision nearly destroyed by the stupidity, it made for a difficult navigation of the water with no moon out.

For the record I even had a pontoon boat (with headlights - looked like a pickup truck on the water driving), cut back and forth behind my boat less than 50 feet away (probably drunk). While I was trying to negotiate shallow waters around an island.

No I don't think it is a new problem. I also don't think these people are reading their boating registration safety guidelines books (PA provides a safe boaters regs manual that nearly duplicate Coast Guard regs).

I really am not sure what you do other than put the boat police on them, and it is such a rampant problem I don't think you could find enough police to track all the offenders down.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook