SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interior Lighting Plan
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2011
1977 CS27 ~ Ravat

cghubbell is on a distinguished road
Interior Lighting Plan

I am planning to update my boat's (CS27) cabin lighting while I have the headliner and side panels out. It had circa 1970 fluorescent and incandescent fixtures. While they all worked, they are (really!) showing their age and not what I want going forward.

I don't use a lot of lighting, and when I do it tends to be for short times. I'm mostly a day sailor, and don't stay up late. With that in mind, I'm not fixated on using LEDs. Since I have a whole boat to outfit, the up-front price difference is significant. I know the long term benefits, and would like to use them, but it's not a pure requirement.

What I'm wondering is, given the cabin of a typical 27 footer, how should I figure out how much lighting I need? Is there a watts or lumens per square foot sort of rule?

Currently my eating area (u-shaped settee) has a double-flourescent tube, and the opposite settee has a single. I was thinking about putting something like a Dr. LED saturn ring (recessed puck) over the nav and gelley areas, and maybe another over each settee? Or would I need something bigger to fill a sette area with light?

I would appreciate any advice with respect to planning the updates...

Thanks in advance,
Chris
CS27 #1254 ~ Ravat
PYC, Lake Ontario

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook